Monday, February 04, 2008

Mixed Nuts: Grace Saenz-Lopez

The Mayor of the proverbial ‘small Texas town’ who agreed to watch her neighbor’s dog while they were on vacation, then reported it dead in order to keep it. And filed false police reports to boot.

Doesn’t get much nuttier than that.

Best part:

“In a resignation letter published by the Alice Echo-News Journal Ms Saenz-Lopez apologised for the incident.

‘I can tell you that I did at the time what I thought was best for Panchito and what I felt was right in my heart,’ she wrote.

‘I am sorry for the division that the events of these last few weeks have caused. It was never my intent to bring any negative exposure to our city.’”

Like almost all political apologies, this boils down to little more than “I’m sorry I got caught”.

HT: Althouse.

Update (13 Feb 08): This just keeps getting better and better. Now, we’re up to impersonating her twin sister, claimed dog nappings (re-dognapping? What do you call it when you accused (falsely) the original owners of stealing their dog back?), as well as hiding the dog out at her sister’s ranch.

It's approaching the Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman scenario.

I’m surprised that the judge is letting the dog stay with the Crazy Saenz Sisters, when he should probably be making sure that they don’t have access to any sharp objects.