Friday, March 02, 2007

More Nifongery

As the Nifong Scandal continues, with Mr. Nifong reduced to pleading incompetence.


“He offered several explanations for some of the problems that have arisen:

The lacrosse case arose ‘during the last few weeks of a hotly-contested Democratic Party primary in which I was seeking to retain my office," he said. "I was not always able to give the case my full attention.’”

Translation: I needed the favorable publicity to pull out a win in the primary. Consequently, my time and attention were spent on how to best use the case to position my election campaign. The actual facts of the matter had to take a backseat to the greater good of the Mike Nifong campaign.

And another:


“The volume of material to be copied for each defendant meant that a number of lawyers and support workers were involved in the numbering and copying of pages, he said. ‘These people were neither concentrating on the actual contents of the documents being copied nor familiar enough with the facts of the case to have known whether anything was missing.’”

Translation: I’m a crappy manager, and my office staff is incompetent as well. We were all focused on what was important – generating good press and re-electing Mike Nifong, Crusading Protector of the People. So who cares if some middle class white kids have to do time for no crime?


“He said he had never before encountered such determined pretrial resistance. ‘A well-connected and well-financed (but not, I would suggest, well-intentioned) group of individuals -- most of whom are neither in nor from North Carolina, have taken it upon themselves to ensure that this case never reaches trial.’"

Translation: Who knew that railroading these kids would generate any interest? Doesn’t everyone know that they’re guilty? They’re evil middle class patriarchal oppressors – they must be sacrificed for my career! How dare they stand up and defend their innocence! They must think that they have the right to a fair trial or something!

"And I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn’t for those darned bloggers. "

Ok, so I made that last one up, or more accurately, stole it from the ending of an old Scooby-Doo cartoon.

Memo to Mike: If you're going to run political show trials, you either have to expect to take a few roughs with the smooth.